Re: issue-57 background reading for F2F (short required reading)

On 10/3/12 2:54 PM, David Booth wrote:
> 1. Ambiguity is a fact of life.  In spite of the AWWW's
> statement that "By design, a URI identifies one resource",
> http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#id-resources  ambiguity of
> reference is inescapable.  This is well established in
> philosophy, and basically boils down to the fact that when
> descriptions are used to define things, it is always possible
> to make finer distinctions than a description anticipated.
Are we still using "identifies" when denotes appears to be much clearer
re. this particular matter?

A URI can denote anything.
An HTTP URI can denote anything.
An HTTP URL specifically denotes a Web document.
A Resource is the Content associated with a Web document.
A Document is comprised of Content.

Linked Data demonstrates how you can use *indirection*  to denote
*anything* using an HTTP URI. In this usage context said URI resolves to
associated content at a Web address/location (URL). Note, *indirection*
may be explicit (303 redirection) or implicit (via use of a fragment id
or hash).

Links:

1. http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/2012-07/msg00190.html --
a related discussion on the ontolog forum that actually reached amicable
conclusion re. this matter.

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen