Re: Google Maps URL Scheme

Robin Berjon wrote:

> What you need for this is intents. Android has them, and a Web
> version is being mulled over.

OK, I'm not up to speed on intents/promises.

> No, a media type is just as bad, only one step removed. If the
> implementation is in HTML (as it's likely and getting likelier to be)
> then all you've done is pushed the masquerading to another layer.

Agreed, from a design perspective.  From the perspective of "don't
break the Web by casting aside proven standards in favor of unbounded
creativity" it has the advantage of being a nonbreaking change to the
architecture.

My same points apply as did for http+ schemes.  As I recall, Apple,
Google, Microsoft, and AOL didn't build the Internet or create the Web
which they are allowed to profit mightily from.  This is the public
commons, funded by U.S. taxpayer dollars, and primarily built by open-
process contributions from around the globe.

Which is why I believe the bigcorps do indeed have a moral and ethical
responsibility to propose these changes to RFC 3986 through the proper
channels.  Or, to in this case have gone with conneg until such time as
Web Intents is realized, instead of saddling the rest of us with yet
another doo-dad bound to be relegated to legacy-PITA-to-deal-with status
once it does.

Have they learned *nothing* from the browser wars?  No, nor did we
expect them to, in fact, isn't that why W3C was created?  With regrets
to TBL, these constant corporate end-runs around RFC 3986 amount to a
mission failure for W3C as a whole.  I don't blame W3C, as I don't know
how to make these bigcorps accountable to their own obligations as
members of both W3C and the global Internet community.

-Eric