Re: FYI, tag election links

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 4:46 PM, John Kemp <john@jkemp.net> wrote:

> As a former member of the TAG and a working web developer, I would like to
> comment on the content of all the blog posts and the general trend towards
> reform.
>
> TAG work has not historically consisted only of satisfying the needs of
> web developers. Admittedly, the TAG could certainly do more of relevance to
> web developers, but there are architectural issues that impact, and are
> impacted by other broader constituencies.

I don't think that anyone fundamentally disagrees with that - I have been
writing and vocally and actively campaigning for a few (Yehuda, Alex,
Marcos and Anne) and I don't.  I think what we are talking about here is
that the equation seems to have been lopsided for quite some time now and
we'd like to correct that.  Perhaps I would even go so far as to suggest
that I advocate tipping the scale the other way for a time to help
compensate and correct and help find the right balance.

> For example, I believe that there has been a tremendous shift from
> "declarative" to "imperative" with the transition to Javascript APIs
> defining the web platform, and specifications that rely on algorithms
> rather than defining a set of invariants.

> These are rather historic shifts (in the Web's short history) and have
> impact far beyond my technical description. And web architecture as
> documented in AWWW has been proven to scale rather well, and support a
> particular kind of innovation that has spawned remarkable economic growth.

Would you be willing to clarify some on what you are saying above?  I might
just be missing it...

> I can't say that I felt I was myself a "worthy guardian" of the Web as a
> member of the TAG, but I did get a very tangible sense that there was
> something of value that members of the TAG have helped build - something
> that goes beyond particular current or historical trends in web development.

I hope that in the rush to reform and to meet the very real needs of web
> developers, the TAG doesn't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I don't disagree with any of what you are saying above.  Let use an
analogy: Opposing political parties are (usually) genuinely arguing a
different approach to some things... That doesn't mean that they cannot
recognize good things that happened in previous administrations and
necessarily want to reboot the entire system.  In the US, our best
presidents have had bad moments and our worst presidents have always had
things that on the whole we have to say were good.  If you follow the guys
I endorse -- it's easy to see that like me, they love the Web (and W3C).
 Speaking only for myself, however, I can say that I don't just love W3C
for some of the things that it has done, I see faults and places where it
could do better and want to see it realize the potential that it has.  I
think TAG is an excellent place to spark the fire and fan the flames that
will help that happen - and (obviously) that my slate of candidates are the
best choice to help that happen - they are smart, they are excellent
evangelists, incredibly involved and exceptionally knowledgable and they
have little to no baggage to make me think otherwise.

>>> http://marcosc.com/2012/12/**w3c-tag-elections/<http://marcosc.com/2012/12/w3c-tag-elections/>
>>> http://infrequently.org/2012/**12/reforming-the-w3c-tag/<http://infrequently.org/2012/12/reforming-the-w3c-tag/>