Re: FYI, tag election links

On 13 Dec 2012, at 14:26, Ashok Malhotra <ashok.malhotra@oracle.com> wrote:

> Hi Henry:
> I know about the WebID work.  I did not know that it had support
> from the French Social Security System.

Indirectly only, by paying me unemployment benefits :-) But the one does have
to admire the quality of social security here, and that it has enabled
us to continue giving to the community during this time. The W3C Community
process of course has also very helpful, and so of course was Apache for
allowing me to act under their name.

> That's great!
> Now the question is how to move this work forward.  Should we
> start a WG?  How do we weave WebId into the infrastructure of the Web?

This was something we discussed at TPAC during the RWW, WebID, Social Web
Community Meeting in Lyon earlier this year, with Tim Berners Lee present.

   http://www.w3.org/2012/10/30-webid-minutes.html#item01

As a result we have been busy in the last month building some documents
that were much needed, such as the WebID Identifier document, in order to
separate the TLS authentication protocol from the WebID Identifiers themselves,
giving us a lot more flexibility.

  At TPAC I heard that some documents are being written to help move CG to
WGs. It is definitely something that I would like to be  put on the agenda,
as WGs get a lot more W3C support which I have learnt is invaluable in getting
the process of agreement moving along fluidly.

  Anyway, that's not quite on topic here. Sorry for the off topic post.

> All the best, Ashok

Thanks :-)

> On 12/13/2012 3:04 AM, Henry Story wrote:
>> On 13 Dec 2012, at 01:11, Ashok Malhotra<ashok.malhotra@oracle.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> I read the blogs in the links below and I agree with most of the arguments they make.
>>> The W3C has made efforts to reach out to the developer community and address their
>>> concerns.  There was the meet-up in Lyon and there have been several developer conferences.
>>> But, yes, more could be done.  More could also be done to address contradictions and inconsistencies
>>> between specs.  No disagreement about that.
>>>
>>> But if the TAG is to be reformed, I would argue that it should become more forward-looking
>>> and visionary -- help lead the Web to its full potential!  There are a number of important
>>> areas that need to be worked on.   We need more powerful formalisms than RDF and we need
>>> to be able to do at least a modicum of inference.  We need -- one of my hot buttons -- an architecture
>>> for offline applications and we need a better system for identity on the Web.
>> Hi Ashok,
>>
>>   we're working on that here on the WebID Community Group. We already have a lot of pieces listed
>> here:
>>
>>    http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/webid/wiki/Main_Page#Working_Documents
>>
>>   - WebID - high level overview spec - what is a WebID  (pretty stable)
>>   - WebID Authentication over TLS: efficient authentication using TLS (solid)
>>   - WebID Interoperability: how OpenId, BrowserId, etc... can all work together (sketch)
>>   - Use Case and Requirements - we're working on that ( in development )
>>   - Web Access Control - something we're looking to speccify ( it's mostly done )
>>
>> You'll be happy to know that I worked on that at Sun Microsystems before it was taken over
>> by Oracle. see this 2008 blog:
>>
>>    https://blogs.oracle.com/bblfish/entry/foaf_ssl_creating_a_global
>>
>> It seems though that in the takeover a cost cutting exercise took place where a lot
>> of famous people left the new company, and this fell through the cracks, taken over by
>> the french social security system, which is financing this. Vive la France!
>>
>>>  The W3C may also
>>> want to take positions positions on some of the legal, political and social issues around the Web.
>>> This is controversial and we need to discuss what we can say and how and where we say it.
>>>
>>> I've probably missed a few but that should keep the TAG busy for a while :-)
>>>
>>> All the best, Ashok

>> Social Web Architect
>> http://bblfish.net/

A short message from my sponsors: Vive la France!
Social Web Architect
http://bblfish.net/