Re: Form of proportional representation

On 11/12/2012 08:58 , Karl Dubost wrote:
> Le 11 déc. 2012 à 16:48, Larry Masinter a écrit :
>>    http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2012/10/07-minutes#item02
>
> "ht: ask the AB to review the voting procedures to change them to a form of proportional representation"
>
> What does that mean?
> I don't know if the scribing captures what henry expressed.

I obviously can't speak for Henry, but I think this may have been
somehow miscaptured because I don't really see how a typical
proportional system could apply here (I also strongly doubt proportional
systems scale down to as few voters as we have).

What we've discussed before is the problem of tactical voting. If
there's someone you really want to see get elected, as an AC rep you're
better off voting for that person only and not using your other votes,
as that will increase that candidate's chance of winning. This distorts
the truthiness of the vote since voters may have had a preference
between other candidates as well, but it is not being expressed.

Now, mentioning voting procedures in an assembly of geeks can very
easily degenerate into years of discussion over the relative demerits of
obscure Condorcet variants. In order to avoid that, my proposal was that
we use the preferential voting system already built into WBS (the W3C's
balloting system) as "good enough" (and require that all options be
filled out). It will never completely remove tactical voting, but it
ought to decrease it sufficiently.