Re: FW: Embedding copyright-infringing video is not a crime, court rules - CNET Mobile

Wow, thanks! Unfortunately, the link [1] provided for the actual court
ruling doesn't resolve just now, but accepting as correct the quote in the
CNET article that the court has ruled:

  "MyVidster 'doesn't touch the data stream' and therefore doesn't host the
infringing video, but links to versions hosted elsewhere on the Web.",

it seems to me that the court has done a pretty good job of noticing the
sorts of technical distinctions that the TAG is hoping to clarify in its
finding.

FWIW, a quick look at myvidster.com suggests that what they are doing is:

* Indexing videos from other sites.

* When you select one, they give you a single Myvidster page for the video
that roughly resembles a Youtube page.

* The video is embedded, I.e. you can play the video in place on the
myvidster page, but the video is indeed sourced directly from another site
like dailymotion.

So, in my personal opinion, terms like embedding are being used by the
court in pretty much the same sense that we use the same terms in the W3C
community. Just one data point, but an interesting one.

Noah

[1] http://www.ca7.uscourts.gov/tmp/KC1FFHD5.pdf