Re: Make the TAG self-selected/elected? [Was: Re: TAG productivity, elections, and httpRange-14]

On 2012/04/24 21:22, Arthur Barstow wrote:
> On 4/24/12 6:08 AM, ext Robin Berjon wrote:
>> The current election process means that the primary factor in winning
>> is name recognition. That's just daft. It gives an inordinate
>> advantage to people who've been visible to the AC for a long time
>> (such as myself) and doesn't make it possible for someone less known
>> to the AC but with strong proposals to run on their ideas about Web
>> architecture.
>
> Perhaps the TAG would be composed of more useful participants if its
> members were self-selected/elected i.e. anyone can be a member of the TAG?
>
> (I think that would be more consistent with IETF groups but I'm not
> positive on that.)

That's how IETF WGs work, but the best equivalent of the TAG on the IETF
side, the IAB, is carefully selected by the Nomcom (which in turn is
selected by lottery from a pool of qualifying (by attending a certain
number of recent IETF meetings) volunteers).

Regards,    Martin.