Re: TAG productivity, elections, and httpRange-14

From: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 16:09:10 +0200
Cc: "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>

No, we can't. I tried to bring it up in http://www.w3.org/mid/FA3C1458-84E1-4B03-BC01-08426A0C2097@berjon.com but it didn't elicit much interest.

> I didn’t come up with anyone willing to nominate anyone, or willing to run.

I know of people who would be willing to run but wouldn't bother because in the current cronies-of-the-AC system they wouldn't stand a chance.

> It sounds nice to say that you want to offer more “open” discussion during TAG elections. But as with most things, every perceived benefit also has a cost.
>
> 	• Making TAG elections more like the political election circus, full of innuendo and character assassination, doesn’t seem like it would increase the attractiveness.

I don't know which standards you've been involved in but what you describe there just isn't the community I know. Things do occasionally get nasty, but it's certainly not the norm.

> 	• Statements made during the election period should carry less weight, not more, than someone’s record as a participant in open standards deliberations.

In a perfect world, sure. And AC reps who have sufficient breadth of community involvement to know about this can act on it. But in reality, most don't.