Re: [apps-discuss] W3C TAG Comment on Draft Media Type Specifications and Registration Procedures

On 4/13/12 11:00 PM, Ned Freed wrote:

>> Perhaps that's the best way of handling it, and nothing needs to be said
>> specifically about fragments identifiers for top-level types.
>
> This isn't an option either. This is a registration best current practices
> (BCP) document that sets down rules for registering media types. Default or
> intrinsic syntax and semantics of fragment identifiers associated with a
> particular top-level type is a protocol specification. This isn't allowed in a
> BCP - BCPs are one shot affairs and not subject to interoperability testing,
> which rather obviously would apply to the specification of such semantics.
>
> If you want to put this stuff in an RFC, it needs to one that's on the regular
> standards track. And that means it needs to be in a different document. All you
> can put in this document are the registration rules for specifying a fragment
> identifier. Nothing more.

Ned is right: this document defines best practices for *registering*
media types. We all might want to more clearly specify the syntax and
semantics of fragment identifiers, but IMHO that's out of scope for the
registration procedures per se.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre