Re: Web browsers should preserve the file system Last-Modified time of downloaded files

On 2011-11-05 17:33, Larry Masinter wrote:
> The web architecture at least as we have specified it so far does not address the notion of "downloading" and of "files" or modified dates.
>
> As far as the web is concerned, the data stream you get from a GET is at least potentially reinvented every time.
>
> And clocks often can be skewed, so that the last-modified timestamp that you get is not in your epoch anyway, so setting file mod time anything other than local time of receipt isn't useful.

Well, there are special cases where the payload returned by GET indeed
corresponds to the concept of a file with a certain timestamp.

A server can add a Content-Disposition header indicating the timestamp.
At least one user agent makes use of it (->
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/tc2231/#attmdate>).

Best regards, Julian