Re: Identification of documents in Web applications

Jeni,

On Mar 10, 2011, at 3:59 AM, Jeni Tennison wrote:

> Noah,
>
> On 10 Mar 2011, at 01:02, Noah Mendelsohn wrote:
>> Not where I'm going at all. I want a syntax that can be interpreted transparently, server and client, with good Javascript control over when you do or don't want server interaction.
>
> Isn't that what the HTML5 history API provides?

How do you pass around that hunk of Javascript which identifies a particular state? Do you want to?

> What doesn't it do that you think we need?

I hear some people want to pass client state around, and treat in general a resource/representation/document as a partial computation or "continuation". I don't think you can do that with HTML5 history alone. And currently, URIs aren't generally treated in such a way as to allow this. There isn't a generally-accepted way of writing a URI that says "the state of a computation at X", although people are makign attempts to use them roughly-speaking in this way.

Do we want URIs to be used this way? If so, how should they be formed?

Regards,

- John