From: Eric J. Bowman [mailto:eric@bisonsystems.net]
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2011 4:46 PM
To: Larry Masinter
Cc: karld@opera.com; nrm@arcanedomain.com; www-tag@w3.org; ndw@nwalsh.com
Subject: Re: Revised HTML/XML Task Force Report

Larry Masinter wrote:

> While detailed data might be hard to come by, how about ONE example
> of a page "in the wild" with this property...

The SIFR method would be a common-enough example:

http://www.google.com/search?q=sifr+image+replacement

SIFR fails when served as application/xhtml+xml.  I don't see image
replacement going away any time soon, as WOFF (unlike EOT) requires the
user-agent to download the entire font as opposed to the limited number
of glyphs required for a site's headings (in many cases).  Too much
latency is added on landing pages vs. using image replacement.

The newer Facelift image replacement method works polyglot, though, so
SIFR serves only as an example of in-the-wild failure, not as an example
of something which *cannot* be done.

-Eric