Re: ACTION-472: New Mime-web-info draft

media types could be defined in such a way to support both registries
and extensible URIs.

For example, a registry could be setup whereby registered and
standardized types could be passed as tokens of the current format
'text/foo', which would relate to an identifier by concatenating that
value to a base uri, such that:

   'text/foo' is concatenated to
'http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/' to create the URI
'http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/text/foo', where an HTTP
GET on this URI would redirect to the relevant standard, if a 404 is
received then the type is not registered.

This would allow for a registry to be kept, and located at
http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/ with lists for specific
trees at the existing URIs, like
http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/text/.

Further, it would allow URIs to be used for unregistered types, thus
making for an extensible, unconstrained web.

Thus, a media type would always be identified by a URI, and when
referring to a media type one could use the token for registered
types, and full URI for unregistered.

Best,

Nathan