Re: Strategies for Abandoned Web sites

Le 20 janv. 2011 à 11:38, Larry Masinter a écrit :
> Why are web sites abandoned? Because the person or organization
> cannot or does not want to maintain it any more. Any approach to
> this problem has to take into account the economics: who pays
> for perpetual care?

Yes definitely.
Multiple copies increase the chances of survival. In the physical world, we often loose the source after a while. For example, the initial carved wood for printing this drawing, but there are so many copies distributed across the world, that the chances of survival exist.

For Web sites, there is the issue of the unique copy of the site.
(note that museum curators  have similar issues with multimedia artists.  Sometimes it is more important to have a description and source code of the performance more than the physical artifacts of this performance.)

--
Karl Dubost - http://dev.opera.com/