Re: Desktop use of favicons for URI holders

Hi Dean,

On Dec 2, 2011, at 18:58 , Dean Jackson wrote:
> On 02/12/2011, at 9:06 PM, Robin Berjon wrote:
>> Hey Dean, have you heard of this neat new tech called SVG?
>
> Using SVG is a better form of scaling the icon from a fixed PNG, but it still won't be good enough. Take a look at the best icons in use today. Many have been created lovingly by hand or, if not, using some 3d tool like Cinema4D so they can get realistic lighting, more complex gradients, etc. SVG can't represent these. I suspect if you tell any professional icon designer that they only need to supply a single size and we'll take care of the scaling for them, you'll get yelled at.

Really? I was aware that some icons were crafted with that level of care, but in my experience that is largely limited to big brands or some specifically hype products, i.e. not the primary case. Looking through the icons I have reveals only a few that could not be captured by SVG (mostly by Apple, and mostly due to gradients that couldn't be reproduced — we need better SVG gradients), but then again I'm probably not the icon hipster :)

Either way the suggestion wasn't to eradicate the option of having multiple sizes of raster icons, but rather to pimp SVG as a best practice (notably, most forward compatible) when the icon can scale. But I may be off in terms of the more common usage.