Re: Generic processing of Fragment IDs in RFC 3023bis

Norm Walsh wrote:

> I find that unsatisfactory. It leaves generic XML processors out in
> the cold once again by expecting them to be aware of all of the media
> type registrations for all +xml formats.

That wasn't my intention.  On the contrary, I think we're agreeing that:

 > By creating a +xml format, you're explicitly signing on to a bunch of
 > constraints. The fragment identifier constraints for XML have been
 > informally understood but not standardized for years, that's a bug
 > that 3023bis should resolve.

Indeed.  All I was suggesting is that we insist that, at least in the
future, +xml registrations explicitly acknowledge that.  This would

1) Help to ensure that the authors of those recommendations noticed
their responsibility to support the generic syntax and

2) Make it somewhat harder for those who first read the +xml
registration document to fail to notice the inheritance of generic
fragid (and other) rules from 3023bis.

So, I think we agree, except perhaps on whether it's worth the trouble
to require that +xml registrations >explicitly< acknowledge the generic
rules, and I certainly don't feel strongly about that.  Sorry for any
confusion.

Noah