Re: Generic processing of Fragment IDs in RFC 3023bis

Chris Lilley writes:

> Indeed, Henry pointed out recently with respect to an ongoing +xml
 > media type registration that it said nothing (in the
 > registration) about fragments

That seems to me nearly as a much a potential bug as the rdf+xml
registration, in that it doesn't explicitly commit to the generic
interpretation.  Thus one could imagine application/notgood+xml being a
vocabulary in which it is not intended that <x id="foo"> be matched by
xpointers in the obvious manner, and that would be bad too.  I doubt
anyone would do this maliciously, but it is quite possible that someone
doing a registration would fail to notice the fact that they were, in
fact commiting (via 3023bis) to a whole family of URI references
involving XPointer.

So, I'm tempted to suggest that 3032bis should require that ____+xml
registrations explicitly commit to the generic syntax.  I suppose one
would have to do a hand wave about existing registrations, but we might
do our best at least to catch re-registrations and new registrations.

Noah