Re: Fragments in HTTP redirects

On 17.08.2010 11:37, Yves Lafon wrote:
> Hi,
> During the last teleconference, we discussed fragment handling in
> redirect now that fragments are allowed in redirects (in httpbis).
> Here is the history of allowing them:
>
> It is httpbis issue #6 [1], so part of the RFC2616 errata [2].
>
> It relates to the following thread [3] where the discussion about
> fragment combination started [4], and also about the difference between
> CL and Location [5], and the CGI definition at [6], and
> draft-bot-http-redirect [7]
>
> So the discussion started in 1999, with some questions left open, and
> included in the errata.
> Cheers,
>
> [1] http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/6
> [2] http://purl.org/NET/http-errata
> [3]
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg-old/1999MayAug/thread.html#103
>
> [4]
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg-old/1999MayAug/0106.html
> [5]
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg-old/1999MayAug/0115.html
> [6] http://ken.coar.org/cgi/draft-coar-cgi-v11-03-clean.html#7.2.1.2
> [7]
> http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/Fragment/draft-bos-http-redirect-00.txt

Thanks Yves.

Looking at last meeting's minutes I'd like to clarify:

1) This has been a known and agreed-upon erratum in RFC 2616 for ~10
years (see <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/6>, which
is based on a mail from Roy from 1999:
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg-old/1999MayAug/0103.html>).
As the IETF does not edit RFCs in place, this is all you get until the
RFC indeed gets revised.

2) UAs do not need to change. They've been supporting this for years.
HTTPbis just attempts to document what happens in practice already.

Best regards, Julian