Re: conneg, HTTPbis, and generic resources (status check)

From: Karl Dubost <karl+w3c@la-grange.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 12:21:49 -0500
Cc: "julian.reschke@gmx.de" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@Adobe.COM>

Le 25 nov. 2009 à 10:50, Larry Masinter a écrit :
> # Content Negotiation on languages
>
> Yes, using content negotiation for language selection interferes with page ranking.
[…]
> Should there be standards specifying what parts of URIs search engines should or should not pay attention to, or whether they should index content-negotiated pages?

Not sure about that.
But that could be an open question for crawler developers.

> #    Vary: Accent-Language
>
> You noted that the "Vary" header is unlikely to help in indexing.  But the "Vary:" header was never intended or designed to have any effect on search engines.

Understood that.

> it doesn't reveal the full list of alternatives available.

Unfortunately, Transparent Content Negotiation in HTTP has never been widely implemented, deployed.
http://gewis.win.tue.nl/~koen/conneg/

I wonder if search engines developers would be more interested now.

> Could you use "referer" or "origin" for filtering instead?

No because you do not necessary from where you will be hit.

--
Karl Dubost
Montréal, QC, Canada