Re: Uniform access to metadata: XRD use case.

On Feb 24, 2009, at 9:00 AM, Eran Hammer-Lahav wrote:

> I'll separate the two for my next draft and correct this.
>
> Adding URIQA support in many hosted environments or large corporate
> deployment isn't simple. It sets a pretty steep threshold on
> adoption [1]. I actually like the MGET approach a lot, but I can't
> sell it to 90% of my use cases. Consider me an extreme pragmatists...
>
> EHL
>
> [1] http://www.hueniverse.com/hueniverse/2009/02/the-equal-access-principal.html

I don't know about hosted environments and corporate deployments
generally, but one thing I like about Link: is that in Apache, at
least, it can be inserted using a directive in an .htaccess file.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_headers.html

It looks as if the Apache 'script' directive could be used to enable
URIQA, but it requires installation of a CGI script (or something
similar), raising the bar a teeny bit (perhaps beyond
what's practical in certain deployments). (Not that .htaccess is
always permitted to use the header directive anyhow.)

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_actions.html

The problem is that I believe both Eran and Patrick, who say
conflicting things. We have talked a lot about technical merit and
generalities. Since the questions of practicality and simplicity are
empirical any hard data pro or con either side would be helpful,
especially as regards non-Apache platforms.

Jonathan