Re: Review of new HTTPbis text for 303 See Other

Richard Cyganiak wrote:
> Thanks Larry. I wish I could talk with such clarity.
>
> I want to take the discussion with Pat a bit further, but will do so
> off-list. (Tomorrow, Pat -- I need to mull it over a bit.)
>
> I initially joined the thread to say this: The HTTP spec, with Roy's
> proposed new 303 text, accommodates all Semantic Web use cases I can
> think of. Including using HTTP URIs to denote people. It's good to see
> httpRange-14 slowly "trickle down" into the specs.
If this is your purpose, I believe that you do need to mull it over
before talking to Pat.   Pat was trying to give httpRange-14 some wiggle
room  while you, who I have always thought to be a staunch supporters of
httpRange-14, was trying to prevent.

This raises an even bigger issue because it seems to me that, how you
have interpreted the principle of orthogonal specification seems quite
different from Pat's (I guess).  What the principle of orthogonal
specification supports is not a layering architecture but a scalable
architecture.  In other words, the semantic of one specification must be
independent of the other.  This is where httpRange-14 breaks because it
tempers the semantics of *200* code, which, by httpRange-14, relies on
the nature of resource.  303 is not critical because its semantics is
for all purpose, hence always *politically* correct.

Darn, no wonder I was confused.  I honestly don't know what you two were
fighting about. :-)

Xiaoshu