RE: Can "http://danbri.org" and "http://danbri.org/" URIs represent different things?

Not in RFC 2616, no.

> Common sense makes me wary; it might
> quite reasonably be taken to denote a Web site in it's entirety. But
> that interpretation isn't widely established either in Web standards.

Well, in common practice (as Stuart's results indicated), using an HTTP URI without a path component typically results either in an HTTP (301/302) redirect, or an HTTP 200 with an actual representation returned. Neither of these seems particularly suited to seeing such a URI as a URI for "me, the person" unless that URI is used only as an identifier in other cases (ie. your RDF example).

I think this depends on what you want to do with that URI. In OpenID, the above would become http://id.danbri.org/ anyway under the OpenID normalization rules.

Having just gone there and looked in Firebug, http://danbri.org does indeed appear to return an HTTP 200, but the browser address bar shows http://danbri.org/. No redirect operation is shown in Firebug. That usage is consistent with some other sites, but others use an HTTP 301 or 302 to redirect to another URI.

> It
> can't be de-referenced directly, only adapted by universally known
> rules
> into a different URI. The adaptation step is under-documented, and
> doesn't make explicit whether the "before" and "after" forms denote
> different things. Is that a fair reading?

My reading of the MUST in RFC 2616:

"If the abs_path is not present in the URL, it MUST be given as "/" when
   used as a Request-URI for a resource"

is that "no path" is considered to be the equivalent of a path of "/".

My reading would thus be that the URIs denote the /same/ thing.

Regards,

- johnk