Re: rel=CURIE in RDFa, but rel=URI in Link:

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 14:52:08 +0200, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
wrote:

> Steven Pemberton wrote:
>>> Digging deeper shows that you rely on IE's content-sniffing kicking
>>> in. This seems to depend on the extension being "html" (it won't work
>>> with "xhtml", for example). So IE is interpreting the page as HTML,
>>> not XHTML.
>>  Not me. That's someone else's page. I, like most people, tend to
>> deliver XHTML to IE as text/html in most cases. But the point is that
>> the authoring is XHTML, and the user experience at the end is correct.
>> That's all I am worried about.
>
> Well, whether the user experience is correct depends a lot on authoring
> practices (empty tags, scripts, ...).

Sure, that's what I meant with "forethought" in an earlier message. You
have to make sure the XHTML follows certain guidelines; but that's true of
CSS and Javascript too.

> So this is interesting for testing, but it wouldn't want to rely on IE's
> content-sniffing habits for production use.

Ha! I don't know how you can ignore it! I once wrote a tutorial on HTML,
with links to example files, and links to the source of the examples,
where the two things were just the same file being served as text/html in
one case, and text/plain in the other (preventing them ever getting out of
sync).

On the browser I was using it looked fine, but then I went to IE, and of
course the source links didn't work anymore...

>>> BTW: the page claims:

>>> />
>>  Yes, presumably a mistake. It's a real pain that content-encoding is
>> enmeshed with mime type in HTML. Lucky that HTTP headers are
>> authoritative!
>
> But then, the page is relying on IE not trusting the header.

The HTTP headers are authoritative.

> As a matter of fact, it also *works* with

> charset=utf-8" />

Yes, that's what the author should have used.

Best wishes,

Steven