RE: [XRI] Back to XRI

> From: John Bradley [mailto:john.bradley@wingaa.com]
> [ . . . ]
> The XRI TC originally selected the 302 redirect for
> compatibility with pre http 1.1 browsers.
> Changing to 303 redirects may brake some clients but it
> unlikely to be a significant issue.
>
> I understand that some people will feel that using redirects
> is inefficient,  however it seems the only way to communicate
> the desired qualities of the identifier in http:

Yes, there would be an extra round trip for an agent that is not aware of the XRI http subscheme conventions.  But an agent that *is* aware of the conventions could inspect the URI and safely skip the extra round trip, in a manner similar to the optimization suggested for thing-described-by.org:
http://thing-described-by.org/#optimizing
That seems like a reasonable trade-off to me: naive agents incur a small penalty, but agents doing high volume have the option to safely optimize.

David Booth, Ph.D.
HP Software
+1 617 629 8881 office  |  dbooth@hp.com
http://www.hp.com/go/software

Statements made herein represent the views of the author and do not necessarily represent the official views of HP unless explicitly so stated.