Re: [widgets] Widgets URI scheme

I wrote:

> Doesn't reliance on media-type suggest a # as opposed to / as
> separator,
> as in:
>
>        http://example.com/sample.zip#outer/inner/deepest

Tim Berners-Lee replied:

> No, so the server would
>
> *either* unpack the item and return it, (200)

I agree that this is something a server could do with a URI like:

        http://example.com/sample.zip/outer/inner/deepest

What I'm puzzled about is that Norm had specifically proposed reliance on
the media type that would result from a retrieval of:

        http://example.com/sample.zip

and I don't see how that enters into the case where the server does the
unpacking and returns a 200 for the "deepest" item.

> *or*  return metadata explaining what is going on, so that the client
> can retrieve the zip file  (303)

Yes, but I don't think we have a widely deployed and interoperable
standard for that particular metadata, do we?  Of course, RDF gives a
framework, but until some particular ontology is agreed, and until widely
deployed user agents act on it to retrieve and crack the zip file, this
doesn't work in practice.  To some degree the same criticism would apply
to use of "#" and a zip-related media type, but at least many user agents
have pluggable handers for new media types.

> *or*  return metadata explaining what is going on, with the zip file
> (TBD)

Same concern.

> Tim

Noah