Re: Next steps for the ARIA syntax discussion

On Wed, 14 May 2008 18:22:26 +0200, Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol)
<skw@hp.com> wrote:

> At a relatively late stage in the development of the ARIA specification,
> the TAG was invited to consider the question of the markup syntax for
> ARIA states and properties, in particular the question of whether the
> attributes encoding them in HTML- and XML-based languages should be
> written 'aria-...' (hereafter "the dash approach") or 'aria:...'
> (hereafter "the colon approach").

There seems to be some misconception here. The major problem I see is that
the PF group proposed a non-null namespace for aria attributes except when
they are used in HTML. The TAG's counterproposal is to use attributes with
two names - in HTML the local name would include "aria:" which would not
be the case in XML, and further proposed to constrain the allowed
namespace prefix in XML (to be "aria"). I have an action item to calrify
the PF proposal, so that the null namespace is always used, with aria-
used as a grouping prefix to further disambiguate these attributes within
the null namespace.

I believe that actually meets the TAG's goal of preserving the namespace
architecture, the implementors' goal of preserving the namespace
architecture, authors' desire for some simple syntax they can generate
with a low risk of error, and everybody's desire that ARIA works easily in
HTML, SVG, XHTML, and anywhere else we think it would be useful.

There are no other attributes I know of whose *local* name includes a
colon, for the very good reason that this character introduces collisions
with the namespaces spec.

There are plenty of attributes whose local name includes a hypen, with SVG
specifying about 70 including a number with two hypens in their names. SVG
uses "font-" as a groupng prefix for about a dozen attributes (some of
which have the same name but different meaning in different contexts) and
various other grouping prefixes (fill-, stroke-) with no apparent ill
effects.

In both cases we are talking about attributes whose namespace is null. As
in

  <foo xmlns:aria="" aria:aria-describedBy="#baz">
or
createAttribute(null,'some-attribute')

This is the same namespace that all the attributes in HTML have, and
almost all the attributes in SVG (some linking and generic xml things are
in a seperate namespace).

In order to work with HTML, which is not namespace-aware, as well as
XHTML, SVG, MathML and anywhere else we can see this being used, the null
namespace is actually the only viable option. The alternatives involve
either constraining the prefixes allowed (often suggested but there seems
no clear justification for it here) or doing some serious magic to guess
when we have real namespaces and when we have pretend namespaces. Both the
alternatives create scenarios where copying between HTML and XML seems
likely to introduce frequent errors that are difficult to trap.

Given that these attributes all have a namespace, but that it is one which
is already rather crowded, it made sense to introduce some mechanism to
*further* disambiguate the attributes *within* their namespace. The
"aria-" prefix for the attribute names is that mechanism.

This seems like a reasonable design pattern. Anything that has to work
with HTML and XML has to use the null namespace for attributes to preserve
compatibility, but should try to avoid clashing with the myriad attributes
already there. Some identifying prefix (anything legitimate in the names
of attributes) seems like a good idea. (A hypen, given its use in
ECMAScript to signify subtraction, may not be the best choice in an ideal
world, but it is something that seems to come naturally at least to
english speakers and there is precedent within DOM Styles for dealing with
it in a simple enough way).

(As a corollary, anyone developing an XML attribute not intended to be
mixed with HTML should be advised to give their attributes a non-null
namespace)

> Based in part on a re-examination of the facts on the ground as regards
> existing browser implementations, and in part on consideration of the
> more general issue of language extensibility in the long term, (both
> reported in _Syntax for ARIA: Cost-benefit analysis" [1]), the TAG has
> arrived at the working hypothesis that the colon approach is both
> technically feasible and strategically preferable.
> Accordingly, we would like to invite you to consider three questions:
>
>   1) Are the facts about the current state of play with respect to how
>      current implementations work as set out in [1] reasonably
>      accurate;

Reasonably.

>   2) Is the cost-benefit analysis in [1] missing any substantive
>      considerations, particularly as regards the cost of changing
>      implementations given testing timeframes, product release cycles,
>      etc.;

Yes. Several current implementations (including ours) are ready for
shipping, and removing this now would throw schedules and planning, so it
would need to be demonstrated that there was a major problem in the way
this is implemented (as opposed to the specification).

>   3) The TAG's working hypothesis is that "aria:" is both technically
>      feasible and strategically preferable, on the grounds that the long-
>      term benefits of a consistent approach to extensibility across all
>      the Web languages outweighs the short-term costs of making the
>      change at this time:
>
>       (to the WAI PF WG):    Would you consider specifying 'aria:' in the
>                              next WD of ARIA;

I am hopeful that the PFWG will have, later today when I get the work
done, a proposal that clarifies that the namespace associated with the
aria attributes is the empty string, in all cases, and that no local names
have colons in them ever. I guess that is a no, from my part...

>       (to the implementers): Could you see your way to changing your
>                              implementation/spec. to comply?

We would only reluctantly do this if other implementors did it first, in
order to preserve compatibility. We consider it a serious architectural
mistake to introduce a colon into an attribute's local name, and we
believe that using these attributes in the null namespace in fact
carefully preserves the namespace mechanism as a whole. In short: We could
in theory be dragged kicking and screaming to do this thing we regard as
unbridled lunacy, but we're not in a hurry and it would cause some real
damage to make this change.

cheers

Chaals