Re: reference needed - w3.org versioned documents

At 4:28 PM -0400 3/28/08, Jonathan Rees wrote:
>Could someone please point me to the memo that explains the naming
>policy used by w3.org that prescribes that dereferencing
>	http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-rdf-mt-20030123/
>always gives the same thing but
>	http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-mt/
>might not?

I believe the rationale is that both of them give the "same thing",
but different things. The dated URI always gives you the version of
the publication which was published on the date in question. The
undated URI always gives you the version of the publication which is
most current on the date you de-reference the URI. You might say that
the first gives you a dated draft, the second gives you the actual
publication. Actual publication are entities that are themselves, of
course, subject to change: but the change is not in the reference
mapping from the URI to the publication, but in the publication
itself. The very same publication might look different on one date
from how it looks on another, c.f. a blog or a newspaper.

I am pretty sure that this is indeed explained in a W3C note
somewhere, but I can't get hold of it right at present.

Pat

>Thanks
>Jonathan

IHMC		(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502			(850)291 0667    cell
http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes      phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us
http://www.flickr.com/pathayes/collections