Re: Uniform access to descriptions

On Mar 20, 2008, at 11:04 AM, Pat Hayes wrote:
> Never mind Aunt Tillie. If you want anyone in a managed IT
> environment to do this, forget it. Its simply impossible. That is
> most of the programmers on the planet, I would guess. And no web-
> hosting service is going to allow its users to do this, either. So
> if the TAG makes a RrrrrULING like this, the entire world outside
> the W3C is just going to smile tolerantly and ignore it.

All of the hosting services that I have used over the past eight years
have allowed the setting of arbitrary status codes (mod_rewrite),
arbitrary media types (AddType), arbitrary charsets (AddCharset),
arbitrary header fields (SetHeader), and even allow the processing
of arbitrary methods via CGI (AddAction).  They even provide web apps
to configure it for you, in addition to raw .htaccess files.

It is my experience that whenever anyone here says just about anything
negative about configuring a web server, the only thing they have really
lacked is the fortitude to read the documentation on how to do it.
They are just repeating the same old wives tales, over and over again.

If you think such limitations are a common problem with hosting,
think again.  There are literally hundreds of hosting sites that
will let you do all of those things for less than $7/month.

....Roy