Re: I-D ACTION:draft-nottingham-http-link-header-01.txt

On Mar 20, 2008, at 1:18 PM, Phil Archer wrote:

> There's a lot of crossover going on here... the discussion about
> relationship types has played out extensively on the IETF/HTTP WG
> list. See, for example, Julian Reschke's comment [1].
>
> Mark's original proposal was to use Link-Profile to make the
> relationship type extensible which seems sensible at first pass,
> but...
>
> Link: <file.ext1>; rel="rel-1"
> Link: <file.ext2>; rel="rel-2"
> Link-Profile: <profile.html>
>
> Does the profile define the first or second relationship type, or
> both?

I'm not sure.

> Link-Prefix would have the same problem but there may be a way
> through.

It would not - you could have multiple LinkPrefixes. Just as with XML
or RDF, each rel would have to be resolved relative to one of them.
Each LinkPrefix species two things: the prefix (optionally empty, to
support the desire to use the current strings) and the URI fragment
that should be put in its place.

> Could IANA be the default Link-Prefix? So if that header is absent,
> OK, you know that any relative URI is relative to the IANA namespace.

One could do this, but my feeling is that it might encourage less
careful behavior. People will need to change their code to generate
link headers - given that it isn't too much of a burden to have the
IANA link prefix added too, if that's what they want to use. By doing
so we clearly link this part of Web architecture with the emerging
Semantic Web additions to the architecture.

> If supplied, then the prefix URI MUST apply to ALL relationship
> types, even if using one from the IANA namespace - and whatever the
> namespace is should use something like owl:sameAs to map from its
> own terms to the IANA ones - seems a bit wasteful.

I don't think this is a good aspect of the design. It's as if you
were allowed only one prefix when you write RDF.

> Alternatively, we could, perhaps have an id for each Link,
> something like
>
> Link: <file.ext1>; rel="rel-1"; id="a";
> Link: <file.ext2>; rel="rel-2"; id="b";
> Link: <my.css>; rel="stylehseet"; id="c";
> Link-Profile: <profile.namespace> for="a b";
>
> (i.e. the Profile header would take a space separated list of
> identifiers for the link headers to which it applied. Again, the un-
> qualified relationship type (header c) is from the IANA namespace.

Isn't a "profile" just like any other document that defines a number
of relationships? The current name for such things are "ontologies",
and they generally live in RDF or OWL files. I guess I don't see why
we need to introduce a new name here when we have a mechanism that
works and is already part of the architecture. i.e. If a rel  is a
URI that names a property, then we figure out what it means in the
usual way - by doing a GET of the URI and looking at what is returned.

In the case you give, I would write this as:

Link-Prefix: "a", "http://profile.namespace.com/relation#"
Link-Prefix: "", "http://www.iana.org/assignments/link-relations#"
Link: <file.ext1>; rel="a:rel-1"
Link: <file.ext2>; rel="a:rel-2"
Link: <my.css>; rel="stylesheet"

Assuming that "stylesheet" means the property <http://www.iana.org/
assignments/link-relations#stylesheet>
and that <profile.namespace> is actually some URI  such as "http://
profile.namespace.com/relation#"

To my mind this maximally borrows from current SW practice

BTW, I don't have any preference for the syntax of the Link-Prefix
header - could equally be any of
Link-Prefix: "a";"http://profile.namespace.com/relation#"
Link-Prefix: a=http://profile.namespace.com/relation#
Link-Prefix: a;"http://profile.namespace.com/relation#"