Re: [XRI] TAG recommendation

Thanks Stuart,

The TAGs position seems clear and categorical from my position on the
outside.
Without clear guidelines on how to reach the bar that the W3C has
set,  it would seem unlikely the XRI or anyone else will reach it.
It has been stated that existing schemes don't meet the new standards.

I don't know that it is productive for us to start digging into where
that bar is if we can find a way of implementing XRI without a new
scheme.

If people want to start a tread on what standard must be met to
justify an new scheme,  you know where to find me:)

Setting the scheme issue aside for the moment.

That gives us a couple of other topics we can try to put to rest
before the TAG meeting.

A question on your first point.

Is there some thought that only URLs should be used as user
identifiers for application purposes?

If I want to log into a application what identifiers are Good vs Bad?

1. jbradley
2. jbradley@wingaa.com
3. =jbradley
4. xri://=jbradley
5. http://xri.net/=jbradley
6. =!BF81.FD97.C81B.B4E5
7. thread-safe.net
8. http://thread-safe.net
9. VE7JTB
10. 703-650-0389

These are all identifiers that I use to gain accesses to resources.
Is there a desire to restrict the acceptable form of input for an
openID?

If we don't use a URI scheme then obviously the xri:// form that is
currently valid would need to be deprecated.

If I enter =jbradley into an openID RP and the RP normalizes  that to http://xri.net/=jbradley
  in the same way that if I enter thread-safe.net it will normalize
that to http://thread-safe.net,  is that a problem?

If  OpenID were to adopt CURIE as you suggest, then if we define:
xmlns:xri="http://xri.net/"

That would allow a identifier such as  xri:=jbradley to be entered and
become http://xri.net/=jbradley  ?

I am new to CURIE so the answer is probably obvious to others.

If that is the idea then perhaps CURIE is an option.

On your second question:

In native XRI resolution a XRDS document is always returned,  so I
don't think that is a problem.

The HXRI proxy server has a number of input parameters to facilitate
backwards compatibility with browsers and other software that is not
XRI aware.
You should refer to XRI 2.0  Resolution  Sec 11.5.  This deals with
the values passed in the http(s) Accept headers sent to a HXRI proxy

Lets consider my XRI =jbradley largely because I may be the only
person using accept headers in my actual XRDS.
You may want to skip to the end of the XRDS my examples will refer
back to the individual SEPs

> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <XRDS ref="xri://=jbradley" xmlns="xri://$xrds">
>  <XRD version="2.0" xmlns="xri://$xrd*($v*2.0)">
>   <Query>*jbradley</Query>
>   <Status ceid="off" cid="verified" code="100"/>
>   <ServerStatus code="100"/>
>   <Expires>2008-07-19T01:24:34.000Z</Expires>
>   <ProviderID>xri://=</ProviderID>
>   <LocalID>!bf81.fd97.c81b.b4e5</LocalID>
>   <CanonicalID>=!BF81.FD97.C81B.B4E5</CanonicalID>
>   <Service priority="10">
>    <ProviderID>xri://!!1003!103</ProviderID>
>    <Type match="null"/>
>    <Path match="null"/>
>    <MediaType select="true">application/rdf+xml</MediaType>
>    <URI append="none" priority="1">http://thread-safe.net/data/foaf</
> URI>
>   </Service>
>   <Service priority="10">
>    <ProviderID>xri://!!1003!103</ProviderID>
>    <Type select="true">xri://+i-service*(+contact)*($v*1.0)</Type>
>    <Type match="null" select="false"/>
>    <Path match="default"/>
>    <Path match="null"/>
>    <Path>(+contact)</Path>
>    <URI append="qxri" priority="1">http://ipage2.ezibroker.net/ipage/ipage.faces?iname=
> </URI>
>   </Service>
>   <Service priority="10">
>    <ProviderID>xri://!!1003!103</ProviderID>
>    <Type select="true">xri://$res*auth*($v*2.0)</Type>
>    <MediaType>application/xrds+xml;trust=none</MediaType>
>    <URI priority="10">http://resolve.ezibroker.net/resolve/=ve7jtb/</
> URI>
>   </Service>
>   <Service priority="10">
>    <ProviderID>xri://!!1003!103</ProviderID>
>    <Type match="null"/>
>    <Path match="null"/>
>    <MediaType select="true">application/rss+xml</MediaType>
>    <URI append="none" priority="1">http://feeds.feedburner.com/Thread-Safe
> </URI>
>   </Service>
>   <Service priority="1">
>    <ProviderID>xri://!!1003!103</ProviderID>
>    <Type match="null" select="false"/>
>    <Type select="true">xri://+i-service*(+xmpp)*($v*1.0)</Type>
>    <Path>(+chat:jabber)</Path>
>    <Path>(+chat:xmpp)</Path>
>    <URI append="none" priority="1">jabber://jbradley@wingaa.com</URI>
>   </Service>
>   <Service priority="10">
>    <Type>$context</Type>
>    <Type select="true">($context)*($ldap)</Type>
>    <Path select="true">($context)*($ldap)</Path>
>   </Service>
>   <Service priority="1">
>    <ProviderID>xri://!!1003!103</ProviderID>
>    <Type select="true">xri://+i-service*(+forwarding)*($v*1.0)</Type>
>    <Type match="null" select="false"/>
>    <Path>(+index)</Path>
>    <URI append="qxri" priority="1">http://linksafe-forward.ezibroker.net/forwarding/
> </URI>
>   </Service>
>   <Service>
>    <ProviderID>xri://!!1003!103</ProviderID>
> [...]

http://beta.xri.net/=jbradley  Because the XRI path is empty this will
match my contact SEP.  The SEP contains a single URL element.
The proxy resolver makes the assumption that because the XRDS content
type was not requested in the query it should issue a redirect to the
URL.

If you type it into a browser you are redirected to may contact page.
(its a opensocial container under development just so you know not to
expect something beautiful)

If a RSS reader access the same HXRI it should do so with an accept
header of application/rss+xml this will cause the RSS sep to be
selected and a redirect to my RSS feed will be returned to the
requesting application.

The HXRI encodes the accept header as the _xrd_m query parameter.
This can be overridden by including _xrd_m as part of the query string
for the HXRI.

http://beta.xri.net/=jbradley?query&_xrd_m=application/rss+xml  this
gets you redirected to my RSS feed at feed burner.

Use beta.xri.net for testing accept header behavior in HXRI,  there
are still some code things we are testing before rolling this out on
the main xri.net HXRI proxy.

If an XRI aware application wants to use a HXRI it can include a
number of query parameters to control the proxy behavior.

http://beta.xri.net/=jbradley?query&_xrd_r=application/xrds+xml
returns the XRDS document for =jbradley

http://beta.xri.net/=jbradley?query&_xrd_m=application/rss+xml&_xrd_r=application/xrd+xml&sep=true&https=true

This preforms service selection based on the application/rss+xm media
type and returns a XRD document containing the selected Service
endpoint, and forces all resolution to be preformed over https.

It is documented in exhaustive detail in the XRI 2.0 resolution spec.

If there is a problem with how we are using accept headers then lets
sort it out.

Regards
John Bradley
OASIS IDTRUST-SC