RE: [XRI] ARK comparison

Hello John,

I think that the nub of the question that you and other comes down to:

"How can I look at some arbitary URI/IRI and know just by looking at it,
that it is an XRI (or an ARK or whatever...)" ie. you are looking for a
syntact marker or a pattern match that will assure you that the a given
identifier string is intentionally of a particular category rather that just
one that looks like it is. A world of certainty rather than possibility
(from inspection of the identifier alone).

1) A URI scheme definition can give that certainty.
2) In some limited way, on the basis of policy published by a domain
authority - eg for xri.net, matching something like ^http://xri.net/[=@$(]
could give certainty.
3) For an existing scheme, matching lower down (further left) in the
authority field or somewhere down the path lead only to possibility, not
certainty.

So... can we find a way of living with possibility rather than certainty?

eg. if an identifier looked and smelled like an XRI would an attempt to use
it as an XRI yield a determination one way or the other (at least at the
time of asking) - ie making an http request with an accept:
application/xrds+xml  would yield either  an XRDS (or maybe XRD - haven't
really grokked the difference yet) representation, a 404, a redirection or
something else. Only in the first case (I think) has it been demonstrated
that the URI can be used as an XRI.

Regards

Stuart
--
Hewlett-Packard Limited registered Office: Cain Road, Bracknell, Berks RG12
1HN

  _____