Re: Boeing XRI Use Cases

Hi Paul,

A recommendation by the TAG or other authoritative body would be
appreciated.

However I want to restate a post from David Booth that needs to be
kept in mind.

Appending a sub scheme in the path may violate Davids chain of
authority principle.

I don't want to loose sight of that in the discussion of relative
merits.

You should also look at how we solve your failover use case in the
XRDS.  It is something we have considered.
It is used in openID if the agent is smart enough.  Most there are a
couple of RP libraries that make use of this behavior.

Reminds me I need to create an OSIS test for that, thanks for the
reminder:)

> The AWWW says:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#pr-uri-opacity
> [[
>    Good practice: URI opacity
>
>    Agents making use of URIs SHOULD NOT attempt to infer
>    properties of the referenced resource.
> ]]
>
> But I think the words "opaque" and "infer" may be a bit misleading
> in the context of this discussion.
>
> When this TAG advice was written, the main concern was that some
> agents were looking at ".html" at the end of a URI and using that to
> "infer" (i.e., *guess*) that the result would be an HTML document.
>
> The important principle behind this advice is that there must be an
> unambiguous, well-defined chain of authority for interpreting the
> meaning of the URI and what it denotes, starting with the scheme.
> This is the same principle behind the TAG finding on Authoritative
> Metadata:
> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/mime-respect-20060412
>
> This does *not* mean that an agent must not look at components of
> the URI in order to determine its meaning.  It means that it must
> not *guess*. How a URI is interpreted must be explicitly licensed
> within this chain of authority.  So when presented with a URI such as
>
>    http://xri.example/foo.html
>
> the agent should *not* look at the ".html" suffix and *guess* that
> it will return an HTML document, nor should it look at the "xri."
> component and *guess* that the URI is really an HXRI-encoded XRI.
> However, when presented with a URI such as
>
>    http://xri.net/xri/foo
>
> *If* the owner of the xri.net domain has explicitly said all URIs
> under the http://xri.net/* space are actually HXRI-encoded XRIs,
> then an agent does have license to interpret the URI that way.  It
> would *not* be a guess.

Regards
John Bradley
OASIS IDTRUST-SC