Re: Boeing XRI Use Cases

Hi Henry,

Thanks for the input.

Sorry it had to do some traveling so just got to look at http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kunze-ark-15

I do see some parallel between ARC and the HXRI form of XRI.

I do see a need to preserve the ability of a client application to
determine if a particular html: scheme URI can be converted to a XRI
for processing.

In ARC the convention seems to be to prepend the path with ark:  as
you call it a ARK label.

Would you propose that we adopt the same convention for XRI?

http://hxri-proxy.example.com/xri:/@test*jbradley/+phone/+home
\_____________________/ \__/\_____/\_____/\___________/
        (replaceable)                       |            |
|                XRI Path
                 |                           XRI  Label    |         |

|      XRI Community assigned Subsegment
    HXRI Proxy                                           |
                                                        GRS assigned
Authority Subsegment

Please excuse my bad ascii art.

This is not dissimilar to what we are discussing for HXRI.

Using xri: in the path is a new proposal.   David and I have been
discussing using the domain name to distinguish the HXRI.

In some ways this might require the smallest change to the existing
spec.

How do people feel about this.  If we add an extra slash after the
colon it looks suspiciously like a URI scheme with a http:  authority
stuck on the front.

Using the HXRI syntax I think that ARK's functionality could be
entirely expressed in HXRI.   This is from only an initial read of the
spec.

It would be an interesting discussion to see if HXRI is a full
superset of ARK.

I am in no way proposing to supplant ARK with HXRI.

Interesting food for thought.

Best Regards
John Bradley
OASIS IDTRUST-SC