RE: Boeing XRI Use Cases

David,

Let me second John's thank you for such detailed input. I know you brought this up once before in your message to this list on June 6 [1], in which you provided a reference to your paper [2] that describes how URIs in new schemes can be represented as HTTP URIs.

In looking back at that thread, it appears that it diverged quickly to another subject before anyone pointed out what John did in his response below, namely that after the TAG originally provided that same feedback to the XRI TC in 2005, the TC responded by adding a major new portion of XRI Resolution 2.0 specifying an HTTP(S) form of XRIs (which we called an HXRI) together with a distributed proxy resolution protocol based on HTTP & HTTPS (see Section 11 of [3]). That form of resolution proved to be very popular, and subsequent revisions based on implementation feedback were one reason completion of XRI Resolution 2.0 took an additional two years after the completion of XRI Syntax 2.0 [4].

John's question is a good one: if it would satisfy the TAG's concerns if the XRI TC specified that HXRIs are the form in which XRIs should be used on the Web, that's a subject we should explore in earnest.

Best,

=Drummond (http://xri.net/=drummond.reed)

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2008Jun/0041.html
[2] http://dbooth.org/2006/urn2http/