RE: Proposed HTML ping attribute

From: Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol) <skw@hp.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 15:59:43 +0000
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>
CC: "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>

Hello David,

> Considering that script can already do lots of things when a
> user clicks a link (including send pings), having such user
> interface already requires solving the halting problem.
> While some implementations may want to provide additional
> user interface, I don't think the TAG has the necessary
> experience in user-interface design.

FWIW, I think that the TAG's principal concern is about the proper use of 'safe' HTTP  methods for this type of monitoring/tracking activities rather than UI design per se. A concern that a Web User may unwittingly cause a hidden PUT/POST/DEL operation with unintended consequences on their part - and that such unintended consequences could be put to malicious either to the detriment of the user or to the detriment of a web site maliciously targeted by a 'ping' (modulo same origin policy).

The role of a UI in raising user awareness of the possibility of 'unsafe' operation is clearly a factor as well, but not at the centre of the TAG's focus (AIUI).

> -David
>
> --
> L. David Baron                                 http://dbaron.org/
> Mozilla Corporation                       http://www.mozilla.com/

BR

Stuart Williams
--
Hewlett-Packard Limited registered Office: Cain Road, Bracknell, Berks RG12 1HN
Registered No: 690597 England