Re: newbie question about sparql and 200

On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 14:16 -0400, Jonathan Rees wrote:
> If I say, in SPARQL:
>
> select * from <http://example.com/graph1> { ... }
>
> then by my reading of the SPARQL rec (http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-sparql-query/
> ), http://example.com/graph1 is supposed to name a (named) graph. But
> some SPARQL servers take the URI in a FROM or GRAPH clause and use it
> with HTTP to fetch an RDF/XML or Turtle document, from which triples
> are obtained. By the httpRange-14 resolution, the 200 response means
> that the URI names an information resource.

yes...

> Therefore, at least some RDF graphs (or named graphs) are information
> resources, right?

Strictly speaking, not quite; the SPARQL
spec includes this clarification:

"The FROM NAMED syntax suggests that the IRI identifies the
corresponding graph, but the relationship between an IRI and a graph in
an RDF dataset is indirect. The IRI identifies a resource, and the
resource is represented by a graph (or, more precisely: by a document
that serializes a graph). For further details see [WEBARCH]."

> I'm sure this has been discussed before...
>
> Jonathan

gpg D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E