Re: Uniform access to descriptions

Michaeljohn Clement wrote:
> Xiaoshu Wang wrote:
>
>> Come on.  Define IR and essential before using it to argue O.K.?
>>

> For "IR", I guess you can start here:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#def-information-resource
>
> And maybe this will help you:
>
> http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Model.html#Resource
>
> For "essential", the normal English meaning applies.

Michaeljohn, wasn't all my arguments about telling people that two
definitions are not practical? You treat that two definitions in a
religious and sentimental way.  I treat them in scientific way.  See my
post here:
http://dfdf-note.blogspot.com/2007/11/zen-and-love-of-information-resource.html

Not try to make fun of it but truly want to enlighten our thoughts on
this debate.
>> How can
>> we have a meaningful argument on something that has an ambiguous
>> definitions?
>>

> It is a basic human problem; perhaps you should ask a linguist or
> philosopher.  Or ask a biologist about "gene".
>

>> That is again you have not fully understand what I and Pat try to tell
>> you.  It is not move /away/, you can still work in the same way as you
>> do now.  It is about to have /more/ ways to do /more/ things - in a more
>> useful and meaningful way.
>>

> You assert this, but did not address my point.
>
> I apologize if my answers appear flippant, but I do not wish to repeat
> myself and do not see how to clarify further so I will leave it at that.

No apology needed.  I didn't get offended easily.  But sometime I do get
impatient and frustrated.  It is not that I don't want to address your
point.  It is because I don't know what *is* your point.  You tell me
exactly what is IR, then I can know how to agree or disagree.  If there
is no httpRange-14 or any attempt to invoke some logic to follow it, I
wouldn't have to bother argue for all these.

I didn't say that I can tell you exactly what a gene is.  But I didn't
ask people to follow a specific way to describe a gene, either.

If you think the distinction of IR and httpRange-14 is important, make
it in a meaningful way so that other people can follow your guideline.
But why do you insist on asking me to help you to explain your ambiguous
position? I cannot - it is beyond my capability! If you can, do it by
all means and if it makes sense and inclusive, I will be very glad to
follow.

Xiaoshu