Re: Uniform access to descriptions

At 2:05 PM -0600 4/12/08, Michaeljohn Clement wrote:
>Pat,
>
>Thank you, this illuminates the discussion a great deal,
>especially now that Xiaoshu has confirmed its correspondence
>with his intentions.
>
>This immediately raises, for me, some questions (for Pat or
>Xiaoshu or anyone):
>
>- Is this view an accurate view of the Web which exists?
>   A goal?  Or simply an alternative, interesting idea?
>
>(I would say only the latter.  And I thought I detected a bit of a
>gleam in your eye, Pat, throughout.)

Yes. The gleam actually was a realization that this was (more or
less) the picture I had formed when I first set out to read the REST
work, in order to try to find out what the hell the TAG were actually
saying; and slowly, painfully coming to the realization that words
which peppered the awww literature which had seemed familiar - in
particular, 'representation' - were in fact being used there with a
highly unusual and special meaning. And yet, the whole story did seem
to make a kind of sense when the wider meaning was used. I had never,
until now, followed up that elusive notion.

>- Is the narrow, awww:represents meaning of 'represents' a problem
>   to be resolved by propagation of the original, broader English
>   meaning into the Web architecture?

Thats not how I would put it. The point is not to just get the
terminology straight, but that the actual ideas seem to apply
naturally to the more general picture; and these broader ideas of
representation are now part of the Web, and are centrally involved
with these discussions (whether traditional webarch likes it or not
:-)

>   Or is the confusion a natural result of the co-option of an English
>   word as a technical term, comparable to our use of words such as
>   "server" and "client", in which case it should be resolved in other
>   ways, viz education and clarification?
>
>Again I would say the latter.

If it were just a matter of terminology, I would agree. In fact, Ive
been trying to do exactly that for some time now.

>- Would the effective dropping of awww:resources out of the universe
>   of (convenient) discourse a desirable or acceptable state of affairs?

I wouldn't suggest that for a moment. I agree, information resources
are real things and we must be able to talk about them. And the
problem that http-range-14 tackles is still with us and needs to be
solved somehow.

Pat

>>  We might call it a storyteller for R. R might have a whole lot of
>>  storytellers, each capable of telling different kinds of story about R.
>
>A question mostly for Xiaoshu:
>
>- In this view, do you consider it desirable for a storyteller to be able
>   to tell precisely 0 or 1 stories about R per media type?
>
>Michaeljohn

IHMC		(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502			(850)291 0667    cell
http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes      phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us
http://www.flickr.com/pathayes/collections