Re: Uniform access to descriptions

Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol) wrote:
> Hello Xiashou,

I am opposing unnecessarily put an HTTP-LINK header because I couldn't
imagine a use case for HTTP LINK, which cannot be solved with putting
link in content, i.e., using RDF or human language, or using Conneg.  In
other words, I think the functionality of the potential HTTP LINK would
be redundant to some other part of functionalities of the web, which
eventually will make the web difficult to operate on.

>>> Don't understand what you mean by "(LINK)" and "should not stand".
>>>

>> I mean the semantics of *resource* HTTP-LINK *resource* should be
>> modeled in RDF or in natural language. If we don't want to drop RDF or
>> natural language, *resource* HTTP-LINK *resource* should not
>> be granted, (by the principle of orthogonal specification), is this right?
>>

> I'm sorry, I'm not able to answer because I do not understand the question. I could make guesses about the question, but I think it would be wrong for me to do that.

>>> No... we don't agree. I can only make guesses at what you are trying to say.

>>> opps s/give/given above
>>>

>> O.K. can I make this model as
>>
>> *representation* - describes (LINK) - *resource*?
>>

> The intended meaning of the notation you use escapes me. I can make guesses... but... GIGO [1].
>
> [1] http://catb.org/jargon/html/G/GIGO.html
>

>> My question to Jonathan is that *description* must be falling into the
>> argument of /representation/.  I didn't assume /representation/ is a
>> given, but using /description/ to replace /representation/
>> doesn't avoid
>> to answer the relationship between /representation(description)/ to
>> /resource/.  It is the same problem, nothing new.
>>

> Ok... so the bit that I can work with....
>
> You posed that Jonathan was "inventing a synonymy" wrt  "description" (and variants: describes; descriptionOf...) and "representation" (and variants: represents; reprentationOf...) and that "Inventing a synonymy won't solve any problem."
>
> Whilst I agree that "Inventing a synonymy won't solve any problem." I also argued in [2](coherently I thought) that "description"+variants and "representation"+variants are not being used synonmously ie. (at least IMO) Jonathan is not "inventing a synonymy".
>
> [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2008Apr/0100

I was trying to say  "description"+variants, should be described in RDF
or in natural languages.  Isn't description the content of another
resource in this sense?  So, if description is neither "resource" nor
"representation"? What can it be?

Xiaoshu