Re: Uniform access to descriptions

On Apr 8, 2008, at 11:34 PM, Michael K. Bergman wrote:
> Jonathan Rees wrote:
>> On Apr 8, 2008, at 3:35 PM, Phil Archer wrote:
>>> Jonathan,
>>>
>>> Clearly Xiaoshu is unhappy about this and that discussion will
>>> need to play out and, presumably, be taken into full account by
>>> the TAG. Meanwhile, I'm willing to help create the document - but
>>> my diary is pretty well full for this week and next.
>> Don't single out Xiaoshu as there are other dissenters as well...
>> The first step is an issue summary document (focusing not on
>> solutions but on use cases), and preparing that can go on in
>> parallel with discussion of the merits of various solutions.
>
> +1 about singling out, but not about "dissenters"

I didn't think "dissent" was a loaded term, sorry. Xiaoshu said "The
proposed LINK is breaking this orthogonality", and the background was
the popularity and momentum of the RFC, so it seemed apt even if a
bit tongue-in-cheek (which never comes off in email).

The use cases are intended to ground the discussion.

We seem to have two discussions in this thread now, one on UA2D and
one on httpRange-14. I can see a couple of reasons why httpRange-14
might have reason to come up. A potential semantic web use case is
one (properties of IRs such as class and stability would be nice, but
for other things why would you use UA2D when 303 and # work perfectly
well?). Consistency of description with status codes is another (what
if the description says one thing but the status code seems to
contradict it?). I imagine there are others. I'll try to decouple use
cases from httpRange-14 and to list questions such as consistency
among those that need to be addressed. I don't want UA2D linked too
closely to httpRange-14 - it's distracting and probably not necessary.

> This is not about us v them, but us communicating to the broader
> public.
>
> This is not a new concern and it will not go away.  If there is an
> interest, I have been following these discussions for quite some
> months and have a lengthy set of references and individuals who
> have expressed concerns about these matters.

Right now I am very interested in anything you have relating to
uniform access to descriptions (Link: header and equivalent).

Best
Jonathan