Re: Uniform access to descriptions

At 2:51 PM +0100 4/9/08, Xiaoshu Wang wrote:
>Pat Hayes wrote:
>>At 8:58 AM +0100 4/9/08, Dan Brickley wrote:
>>>Hi Pat,

>>>(aside: perhaps 'http(s) URI' was meant here, rather than just 'URI'?)

>>>I don't know what 'essential characteristics' are. Really. What
>>>are the (erm...) characteristics of the 'essential
>>>characteristics' of some [named type of] thing? Who gets to decide?
>>
>>I'm reading 'essential characteristics' as meaning, roughly, what
>>in OntoClean are called 'rigid properties' and what are often
>>called 'essential properties', meaning properties or aspects of a
>>thing which it has necessarily, i.e. which if it didn't have those
>>it would cease to be what it is. Among my essential
>>characteristics, for example, is my being human; or if you prefer,
>>mammalian. And although we have the word "human" in English, its
>>impossible to convey the/ property of being human/ in a message.
>But, what is the rigid property of being a document?

Exactly that: i.e. being a document. I can recognize documents when I see them.

>How to convey "the property of being document"?

You send the text of the document in such a way that it can be
displayed. Then I look at it and I see that it is a document. This
assumes of course that digitally encoded documents count as
documents, which they now do. 50 years ago, they probably would not
have, but cultural attitudes change towards such things.

>If you answer is "document is what is digitizable".  Then, you have
>a subclass of document - digital document but not the document
>itself.

Again, a cultural shift of perspective. In current usage, it seems
that 'paper document' is a subclass of 'document', the latter
including all kinds of digital entities which never make it to paper.

>  Then, there is a subclass of digital Human, which is digitizable too.

digital human?? Ive never met one yet.

>Take gene as another example, Is gene an IR? It should be not
>according to what you want to define.  We can certainly very
>faithfully digitize gene's sequence, yes?

A gene sequence might be an IR, but not the actual gene. Genes are
real things, not mere sequences: they have biological consequences,
they cause things to happen.

>The issue in the web is not about defining those properties. It is
>about communication.  That is how we communicate our viewpoint about
>certain resource from its digitized subclass (representation).

Um.. don't confuse a digital object with a digital representation of
an object. Many non-digital things can have digital representations
(though not webarch:representations).

>  The purpose of the web is not about how to digitize resource but to
>communicate resource through its digitized form.

Do you mean, communicate the actual resource, or communicate
something about a resource?

Pat

IHMC		(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502			(850)291 0667    cell
http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes      phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us
http://www.flickr.com/pathayes/collections