From: Alan Ruttenberg [mailto:alanruttenberg@gmail.com]
Sent: 09 April 2008 06:50
To: Pat Hayes
Cc: wangxiao@musc.edu; Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol); Jonathan Rees; www-tag@w3.org WG; Phil Archer
Subject: Re: Uniform access to descriptions

On Apr 9, 2008, at 12:59 AM, Pat Hayes wrote:
We have no idea. It could be anything, just as a 303 redirect tells us nothing about what the URI is obliged to denote. Http-range-14 is silent on both of these cases. It only specifies that in the case of an unhashed URI returning a 200 response, the URI is understood to denote the resource that emits the response.

So an IR is the sort of thing that can emit a response.
Which means it can't be the Microsoft Word document I just worked on, since as far as I know, such things aren't capable of emitting anything.

Do I have this right?

-Alan