Re: New Editors Draft of the httpRange-14 Finding

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 02:25:10 -0400
To: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
Cc: Rhys Lewis <rhys@volantis.com>, 'www-tag' <www-tag@w3.org>, 'Jonathan Rees' <jar@creativecommons.org>

Alan Ruttenberg scripsit:

> But the problem with "representation" is that lacking any definition
> that isn't circular.

I didn't think there was any trouble with "representation"; it's just
a pile of bits with some metadata, most importantly a media-type.

> A person can't even figure out whether its
> correct or not, never mind a machine. So really, this isn't an issue
> of RDF or OWL or machine understanding and verification. I can't even
> get started on the machine stuff because I myself can't figure out
> whether someone has done this representation thing correctly or not.

Whether a representation properly represents its resource is basically
a matter of fiat; it represents if (a) the owner says it does, or (b)
the owner's other claims about the resource are consistent with the
representation.

> In RDF it is impossible to look for
> errors except by staring, because it's impossible to have a machine
> detect an inconsistency.

Well, no worse than prose or mathematics, then.

--
Real FORTRAN programmers can program FORTRAN    John Cowan
in any language.  --Allen Brown                 cowan@ccil.org