RE: HTTP Endpoints and Resources

From: Booth, David (HP Software - Boston) <dbooth@hp.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 23:21:42 -0400
To: "Pat Hayes" <phayes@ihmc.us>
Cc: "Rhys Lewis" <rhys@volantis.com>, "Technical Architecture Group WG" <www-tag@w3.org>

> From: Pat Hayes [mailto:phayes@ihmc.us]
> [ . . . ]
> But nobody said that the URI responded.

Okay, my fault, I should have been more precise.

> In the 200 case, what
> responds is the resource Web-attached to, and denoted by (assuming
> the above-mentioned convention) the URI. In the 303 case, what
> initially responds is the thingie (resource?) which is Web-attached
> to the URI - which the URI accesses - but which (might but more
> probably) might not be denoted by it. In the 404 case, all bets are
> off.

Well, okay, but I'm wary of hypothesizing this thingie that is
Web-attached to the URI that sends 303 responses, because it sounds
confusingly similar to an "information resource".  I'll explain why in
my reply to Rhys.

David Booth, Ph.D.
HP Software
+1 617 629 8881 office  |  dbooth@hp.com
http://www.hp.com/go/software

Opinions expressed herein are those of the author and do not represent
the official views of HP unless explicitly stated otherwise.