Preferable alternative to 'resource'

On 2007-09 -20, at 11:37, Pat Hayes wrote:
(Re: Some TAG  review of "Cool URIs for the Semantic Web")
[...]

> In addition, that final sentence really is ridiculous. "We call all
> these things resources."  All WHAT things? It sounds rather as
> though you are saying 'We call everything resources.'

I agree that that is a terrible word. It is an abuse of the english
word. (Its use is is historical: when Universal Resource Idemtofiers
and Resource Description Format were dreamed up, the communities were
very  much thinking of Information resources, such as educational
resources available on the WWW).

So, Pat, what would be a better word which we should use instead?
The class of all  ____ s?  The class of which all classes are
subclasses is the class of ____ s?

Tim