Re: Microformats and URI based extensibility

On 9/26/07, David Orchard <dorchard@bea.com> wrote:

> Tantek has written a page on the microformats wiki where he explains how
> microformats are a URI based form of extensibility and how the generic terms
> are scoped to within a root element.

I had this talk with Tantek at WWW2005, and was excited to learn of
it, but I soon came to realize that (effectively) nobody implementing
or authoring microformats were using the profile URI.  So for all
intents and purposes, they're not grounded in URI space.

This could change for future microformats (because, AFAIK, there's no
generic microformat parser which such a change would break), but the
existing ones will be forever ungrounded IMO.

Mark.