RE: definition of forward compatible/backward compatible still an open problem [XMLVersioning-41 ISSUE-41]

I probably didn't explain myself clearly enough -- the perils of writing
while awake all night.

> What you are proposing is that it's up to each "application".

No, I'm proposing that the mappings rigorously define the information
mappings, independent of the application.  Insofar as the same document
maps to different info per the different language versions there's an
issue, and hence an incompatibility independent of the application.  Each
application decides whether the info in I2 is sufficiently compatible with
the info in I1 for its purposes, I.e. whether it cares about the
incompatibility.

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation
One Rogers Street