Re: XML, namespaces, extensibility and validation

On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 17:20 -0500, Dan Connolly wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-06-25 at 15:22 +0900, olivier Thereaux wrote:
> > Hi Tim, Hi TAG list,
> > (note I'm not subscribed, would appreciate being kept in Cc)
> [...]
> > > - Therefore, groups like ARIA ought to be able to extend XHTML by
> > > introducing new elements and attributes.
> >
> > I think we have seen some progress in this area. See how the XHTML
> > +RDFa was created, and can be validated (with the beta-soon-released
> > validator only, for now). Note that they had to go and create a
> > profile and DTD, that is, an XHTML+RDFa document cannot claim to be
> > an XHTML document, with some stuff in a foreign namespace slapped
> > into it. That, I believe, is contrary to the basic conformance
> > statement for XHTML: http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#strict
>
> This involves making a new driver DTD, right?
>
> Contrast that with the my:box usecase, which I suggest
> is more web-like:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-versioning/2007Feb/0000
>
> It seems to me that XML Schema substitution group were designed
> for exactly this sort of extensibility, but XHTML, SMIL, SVG,
> nor CDF is using it, and I can't figure out why not.

ah... found some notes...

Notes on schema best practices in the Interaction domain
Robin Berjon, <robin.berjon@expway.fr> (2005-09-06)
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2005Sep/att-0014/schema-compounding-and-BP.html
<-
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-schemata-users/2005Oct/0003.html

Hmm... I don't see anything about substitution groups there.