Re: Dereferencing HTTP URIs (redux?)

From: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 16:28:49 -0400
Cc: "John Cowan" <cowan@ccil.org>, "Pat Hayes" <phayes@ihmc.us>, "Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol)" <skw@hp.com>, "Mark Nottingham" <mnot@yahoo-inc.com>, "W3C-TAG" <www-tag@w3.org>
To: "Booth, David (HP Software - Boston)" <dbooth@hp.com>

I'm not sure thing-described-by help. For one thing, the URI that you
create using that service is not the one that you started with, so
the relationship between u and what you get is not direct. Second,
from the point of view of the english sense of the thing, the thing
that describes something isn't the thing itself.

I suppose that this would be OK if it was the result of a temporary
redirection from u, but then
a) Setting up that redirection may be an equally complicated task for
Aunt Tillie
b) How does one compute the effective result code through a redirect?
Is it the first, the second, the last? Can't be the last, because the
303 redirects to something that returns a 200. Can't be the first
because such a redirection would be a 302.

-Alan