Re: The meaning of "representation"

Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> On Nov 25, 2007, at 12:47 PM, Xiaoshu Wang wrote:
>> Here is what you, along with other authors, write in the section
>> 1.2.1 of URI spec http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3986.txt
>> "A URI may be represented in a variety of ways; e.g., ink on paper,
>> pixels on a screen, or a sequence of character encoding octets. The
>> interpretation of a URI depends only on the characters used and not
>> on how those characters are represented in a network protocol."
>
> Please note that is referring to how the characters in a URI can be
> communicated.  It has nothing to do with the resource or a representation
> of the resource.
Yes, I know.  I just want to make the point that a "representation" of a
URI can be delivered in any conceivable way.  If we don't have the web
but only mail system.  URI still works and can denote anything.   But it
suddenly won't work once it is bound to the web.  Then, something must
be wrong with the web because it doesn't use the URI properly.

Xiaoshu